Nike+ Challenge


Get a Voki now!

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Reliever Experience

I walked into the hallway, fatigued after my intense game of wrap at lunchtime, preparing for what seemed like a normal science lesson. It way last period on a Friday afternoon and no one wanted to work intensely in silence. Everyone carried atrabilious faces and leant their unenergetic bodies up against the wall. Some people were talking about their lunchtime and others couldn’t be bothered. I saw an unfamiliar person coming up to open the door. When everyone knew that our regular teacher wasn’t teaching us that period, their languorous bodies and expressions became wild and dynamic. We took this period as a free lesson, time to do whatever you wanted to do and explore your imagination.

The substitute introduced himself and told us his life story in about 7 minutes, usually the relievers life stories range from 20 – 40 minutes, but most of them just continue to reminisce over the ‘good old times’. We took Mr. Pastablion for a typical, orthodox reliever. Before he told us our instructions, people handed out the books and were asking “What page, Sir?” He didn’t stop us, he waited until all the books were handed out. As soon as everyone had a book he said. “OK, now put the books back”. Confused, we all packed up. He told us that we could do anything our hearts desired as long as we produced something constructive. Instantly, we all broke out into conversations and over the top of us he exclaimed “GO YOUNG ONES! FLY!” I think this was his way of saying go.

Everyone broke up into theirs group and left the class instantaneously. I thought this would be a nice time to walk around and see how others spent their ‘free’ period.

As I walked outside I thought I would start by looking at how Seamus, Scott, Taylor, Rory, Gabrielle and co. Not to my surprise, Seamus had brought his paintball equipment. They were all fighting each other, no teams, no allies, no mercy. I knew that the longer I stayed the more tempted I would get to join in, and the more likelihood of me getting hit.

My next stop was the group of Eve, Frankie, Brennyn, Bobbie-Leigh and co. They were spending their time reading in the library. I swiftly moved on trying not to be ‘tempted’ by the reading.

My next destination was Cerise’s crib. In this ‘crib’ were Courtney, Bree, Tash and co. They were doing nothing but gossiping and talking about chick stuff. They were hidden behind the dental bus and their faces made me suspicious. As I passed them they immediately went silent and looked at me with an evil glare. I asked them what they were doing and they replied with “We’re doing……stuff.” I continued on, not to waste any time.

My next voyage took me to Erica, Cassandra, Hillary, Chelsea and co. They were playing netball on the courts and having meaningless conversation…Similar to the conversations on the show ‘Gilmore Girls’. I flowed passed unnoticed and continued my journey.

My next stop was back at class were Drew, Luke, Isaac and co were having a nice day dream.

At the end of the period we reported back to Mr. Pastablion, no one apart from Eve and her friends had achieved anything. My ‘constructive’ piece was “I took a walk around our school thinking about my future and how I can be more successful.” Mr. Pastablion failed everyone apart from Eve, Frankie, Bobbie-Leigh, Brennyn and me.

No comments: